::NAV BAR::

home about about

Monday 28 January 2013

The Dinner Series.

Recently I have been involved in many conversations surrounding dinner ideas for toddlers. I don't know about you but I struggle for new ideas that provide the nutrients our growing little girl needs and are easy to prepare and cook. Most nights Audrey has a modified version of our dinner but there are nights where Luke and I may have a cheeky take away pizza or thai and obviously we don't want her eating takeaway. Those are the nights I stand in my kitchen and pray for something to jump out at me!

I thought surely there are other mummas out there with the same dilemma so why not share whats going on in our kitchen and maybe introduce some new recipes into yours. I hope to post a quick and easy dinner idea once or twice a week and on tonights menu is sweet potato fritters, hope your little one enjoys.

Please excuse my recipes, I am by no means a chef or recipe writer...

Sweet Potato Fritters
1 sweet potato
1/2 zucchini
1/2 cup peas
1/2 cup corn (we only had frozen tonight)
1 egg
1/2 tsp crushed garlic
2 tbsp cottage cheese
1 cup cooked quinoa
Coconut oil cooking spray

- Peel and cut sweet potato and zucchini into squares, add peas and corn and bring to the boil.
- Once veggies are soft drain the water and add egg, garlic, cottage cheese and quinoa*
- Mash all ingredients together and roll into balls.
- Heat pan to medium heat and spray with coconut oil (or any cooking spray, we prefer to use coconut)
- Place balls in heated pan and "squish" with spatula.
- Cook until browned.
- Let fritters cool (we don't want any burnt little mouths) and serve with salad or veggies or even on their own.

Combine 1/2 cup of quinoa to 3/4 cup water and place them both into a pot.
Add a pinch of sea salt and bring to the boil.
Reduce the heat to low and place on a lid.
Simmer for 10 – 15 minutes or until all the water has absorbed into the quinoa, seeds will become translucent.


Finished product
A willing helper





And a very willing taste tester!
She didn't leave a crumb on her plate = success.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious! I want to make this for the whole family! It's hard to take a good photo of food, but you make this look super tasty! I praise other blogs for sharing their toddler recipes. I've been following a young lady named drea for yonks.. and what she cooks for her marlowe is inspiring! Just like you! Here is a link

    http://ohdeardrea.blogspot.com.au/search/label/what%20marlowe%20eats

    She emails you the full recipe if you want. but mind you, she is vegan, and lola loves her meat! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cant believe Audrey ate them.It is hard for us to get Clare to try anything new, she likes what she likes. Which suits me fine most of the time,but sometimes I really want to crack out some new recipes. I did do a new beef stir fry which she ate tonight, so I guess thats a start. PS Love Audreys top!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow Ash, she is amazing! Thank you so much for introducing me to her, I am loving her brunchday posts. I have put my camera on manual and it is soooooo challenging but like Lucky said practice makes perfect so hopefully I will improve.. x x

    Jen our little one has a bottomless tummy, she LOVES all food but she is only one so we may face troubles in the future (fingers crossed we don't though). I cant thank you enough for our wonderful gift of clothes for Audrey and for introducing me to the most delicious smelling washing powder!!! x x

    ReplyDelete